The Day After Tomorrow (what happens after you do a fitness show) PART 1

I believe most of you are familiar with the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". If this is not the case, here is a trailer for you to get an idea of what the movie is all about.



Yes, the movie is about the Apocalypse! So, I thought this would make a great post not only because this is the year 2012 and we have a bunch of prophecies regarding the End of Times, but also because when you set a date for yourself to do a fitness show, such date becomes like a prophecy itself about the Apocalypse of your life.

THE PRE-APOCALYPSE

Why is this? Well, think about it, for a period of 3 - 6 months (depending on your own personal plan), your life becomes completely ruled by the schedules of your contest preparation. Such was the case with my life.

Everything revolved around my meal times and my training times.

First, I would set my alarm at 5am to make sure my butt was on a cardio machine by 6am. Second, I enrolled all my clients and coworkers in supporting my fitness journey and scheduled them around my meal times and my weight training times. By 9pm, even though I forcefully tried to get 2 more hours of work on my computer, my knees would buckle under me letting me know that my body was out of fuel for the day.

This might sound torturous to some of you, but honestly, every single minute of my waking time I was on such a high, more so than I am now in a normal non-competition day. I felt like a train going at full speed and nothing could get between me and the day I was meant to jump on that stage. I felt happy, fulfilled and healthy every single moment of this journey.

So yes, once you get there, to the day of your show, that day becomes the end of times. I hadn't really put a lot of thought to what would happen to my now comfortable competition routine after  this Fitness-Show-Apocalypse.

I remember during my last couple of weeks as Omar, my husband, was driving me to the gym to do my 6am cardio and telling me:

"You know Alex, in 2 weeks you will not have to be waking up at 6 for cardio. No more of that!"

My immediate reaction was to freak out!

Really? No more 6am cardio??? Now after 5 months of 6am cardio, even my body was naturally beating the alarm clock by waking up 5 minutes before the alarm went off. Even on Sundays I was waking up at 5am! What was I to do with myself?

THE APOCALYPSE - May 5th

And so the day came and I jumped on stage... and then it was over, just like that. Guess what, it was something I had to deal with because everything changed.

You must be wondering the following:
* Why hasn't she continued to post on her blog?
* Has she gone out and ate everything she could find?
* Is she looking all swollen up now?
* What is she up to these days?
*What does she look like this days?

Well, I am here to touch base again with you and continue to narrate this experience and some other for you in the fitness industry.

POST-APOCALYPSE to come in Part 2 of this post.

Comments

  1. An apocalypse is such a good way to describe it! i want to hear the rest of the story! :)

    Like with what Lynn was saying on facebook about feeling like if she didn't eat it she would never get the chance to eat that thing again, totally know that feeling from before I started this training. But, one thing that I learned when I had to say no to yummy things during the week is that I'll have a chance to eat it another day, so I don't have to eat it now, because it's not an apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts