This is Unheard of


It is unheard of that I haven't hit a gym in 5 weeks. Yes after 6 years since I changed my lifestyle, the longest hiatus I've had is 2 weeks.

After one of the most beautiful 2 week vacations I've had in my life, I came back to a hard 2 week recovery from illness. As some of you know I haven't been sick or hurt in 5 years, pretty much as a result of good nutrition and good training (despite anybody that considers me a bit obsessive).

I wanted to share a bit more because there were 3 things about my condition that raised doctor's eyebrows, starting with the fact that there haven't been any medical records on me for any reason.

We are never going to know when accidents and sickness are going to hit us, but what we do have control of is stirring the wheel of our lives, is what we put in our mouths on every single meal, and that of our families and is on living an active life that reduces the poisonous stress we are all exposed to.

I worked through my first week back, fighting what I thought was a usual sore throat. By the weekend I was completely depleted and went to a walk in clinic, got prescribed antibiotics and went home. 

From Saturday to Wednesday I had an inflammation inside of my mouth half the size of a golf ball. I wasn't myself, I couldn't swallow properly, eating and drinking caused excruciating pain and if I turned my head to the right I could barely breath.

I got sent to ER to get it treated immediately. Apart from the physical distress I was on, the swelling was at the point that infection could have traveled to another part of my body causing further damage.

The gory details shall be spared, all I can tell you is that it was a very brutal 5 minutes that I will remember for the rest of the year at least. I was left shaking and sobbing.

Why did I want to share all this? Well, at the 3 clinics I went to all the doctors were surprised that I hadn't had any fever for one, and the 2 doctors that drained my abscess, despite being cold hearted experts, gave me a verbal medal for not throwing up, punching them and passing out on them, which is apparently what most adult patients do.

The fever is usually how the body helps fight infection. So I am not too sure why mine didn't kick in, or if it could be regarded as a strength or a weakness. 

I  can tell you however that on my biggest moments of pain during the procedure, I focused on the feeling I get when I am at the bottom of some of the heaviest squats  I have performed in my life, digging deep on how you should be breathing, on what muscles you should be focusing so that your body does what you will it to do. That's how I managed to not explode on the doctors, and by exploding I mean punching, puking or screaming.

Conclusion kids, strength training is good for the discipline of the mind and because your never know how your life can be saved when emergency comes knocking on your door, because it will come for us all.

Good and natural nutrition (plain and simple, if earth gives it to you be in on a form of a veggie, fruit, legume, animal, seed,etc  and its on its least contaminated or processed form is the best for you, let's cut the crap with all these "healthy cereals" and "healthy protein bars").

I wanted to start writing again because through my mental distress some of what other people were sharing was helping me sort through my conflicts. Maybe I will even start to write again myself.

Comments

Popular Posts