Levels of Belief, PART II (for performance)

What is the main reason you work out for? I bet you that whatever you answer is, we can put it underneath any of the following 3 categories (presented in no particular order):

a) Health
b) Looks
c) Performance

In "Levels of Belief, Part I (for the looks)"we opened up a conversation as to whether you believed you could look like the models on the cover of Oxygen or not. In my experience not everyone is motivated by looks or would rather not acknowledge that such is the case.

For that matter, the post you are about to read today is directed to all who find pleasure and motivation in the thrill of a performance challenge. To all of you, with an inner warrior, whose fire and passion for working out, lights up in expectation of a great event, and to all of you, who have never thought you could, but as you read through this post or watch the videos, something tingles inside of you...

Last year I proposed to some of my clients to do the CN Tower stair-climb with me (1776 steps, for time). Even though I had never done this before, I was quick to file this challenge under the "RECREATIONAL" cathegory and assume that my clients will also view it as such. Hence I was confused as to why only 2 of my 13 accepted the proposal since this could be a perfect milestone in the road towards achieving their fitness goals.

Yes, some of them were not interested in spending 20 - 40 minutes in a closed space dealing with stairs and sweaty people in front of them. But thanks to those 2 clients that decided to work with me in achieving this milestone, I came to understand that the reason some of the others decided not to do it was because they were afraid and thought they were inadequate to successfully complete this challenge.

My two "warrior clients" Serena and Lynn, who bravely completed the challenge, shared with me that they were also afraid and was probably one of the craziest things they have ever done or thought they would. So, I truly wish for them to remember the rush they felt when they crossed the last door after 1776 stairs. I want them to remember that it is OK to be afraid, but that should never stop them from living their lives to the max.

Next time someone invites you to a fitness challenge to which you respond to a NO, I want you to take a look at what you are feeling at that moment. Was it a NO that came out of genuinely not being interested, or was it a NO out of feeling that you could never do that or that you are inadequate for the challenge?

Here is a list, brief description and/or video of challenges happening around this area this 2012. Take a look at them and let me know which one moves you, which one would you like to try this year?

1. The Spartan Race: "The challenging 5k sprint trail races are a great way to get off your couch and start living. From beginner trail racers and mud run participants to hardcore warriors, tough guys and marathon runners, they all come out to test themselves on the insane obstacle races!"
http://www.spartanrace.com/



Inspiration: Powerful Beyond Measure (how great are you?) from Ben McDonald on Vimeo.

2.- The Warrior Dash: A mud-crawling, fire-leaping, extreme 5k run from hell. Warriors conquer extreme obstacles, push their limits and celebrate with music, beer and Warrior helmets.
http://warriordash.com/index.php



And if you have already participated in any of these, why not take it up another notch.

3.- Tough Mudder: 10 - 12 miles, 24 hours of military style challenges.
http://toughmudder.com/



4.- CN Tower StairClimb: 1776 stair climb for a cause.
Click here to take a stand for your planet in April with the WWF
Click here for United Way's Step up for the City in October

5.- Goodlife Marathon: walk or run, 5k, half marathon or full marathon.
This company stands up for every individual to be able to live their life to their fullest. If you are a runner check out their event or any other running challenges happening near your area.
http://www.torontomarathon.com/

6.- Ride for Heart: Ride a bike to extend a life. Your choice 25k, 50k or 75k
http://www.rideforheart.ca/

If you have already participated in one of this, why not step it up and consider doing a triathlon?

And last but not least check out this video for what you can expect at a fitness show. Bodybuilding is a sport and an art all on its own.

7.- Fitness Competitions: The art of shaping your body.
On a personal note: I understand that this is not for everyone, but whenever I have attended (not participated) to any of these events I have found myself fighting down tears when I am surprised by a woman over 50, as she walks on stage with beautiful muscle definition. At that moment I think to myself, I want to be that woman with that confidence and that body and that energy to walk on stage at the age to 50+ and loving my body. I want to age beautifully.

You might be surprised at what you can take for yourselves out of watching one of these:



As you can see, most of these events are a shared journey. If you are ready to take on one, be an agent of change and invite others to join you as well.

Finally I want to close by saying that if you are not ready to take part in any of these events, I am sure you are definitely ready to attend to one of these and see what possibilities can open for you in the near future.

Best to all of you on your fitness journeys for 2012.

Comments

Popular Posts