Choosing a Fitness Show as a Fitness Goal

When I tell people that I am preparing for a fitness show, with a squint on the eyes and a sarcastic undertone, I often get asked the question: "Is this good for your health?"

I have only done 2 fitness shows in my life, one as a bikini competitor and another as a figure competitor. I am currently on my preparation for my third show in figure and by no means I consider myself an expert on the matter. But, I have lived it and I can tell you what this is all about.

There is a lot of myth and ignorance surrounding contest preparations. There is no denial in the fact that there are circulating horror stories of people who have caused permanent damage to their bodies while preparing for a show. Some of these stories have stemmed uncontrollably into terrible myths that forever taint the concept of doing a fitness show for most people.

Let me tell you that in the same way that you could offset the delicate balance of your body by drinking 5 Coca Colas a day for a month, you can permanently damage your body if your supplementation is not monitored by a professional.

Again, is this good for you health?

It always intrigues me what is the reasoning behind a person who asks me, or any competitor, this question. How about, without going into too much detail, we compare the average North American diet, to that of a fitness competitor. (And if you are someone who likes details I invite you to take a look at your geographical area's average diet statistics)

The average North American:

BREAKFAST: 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast with jam, large coffee with milk and sugar. (or no breakfast)
SNACK: banana
LUNCH: (insert any type of fast food option here)
SNACK: cookies, or chips, or anything craving related
DINNER: breaded chicken, some vegetables of various colors, pasta, soft drink
LATE SNACK: cookies, or chips, or anything craving related
TOTAL DAILY WATER CONSUMPTION: under 2 liters/day

The average competitor diet :

BREAKFAST: oatmeal, egg whites, berries
LUNCH: chicken, rice, and deep green vegetables
DINNER: fish, sweet potatoes and deep green vegetables
SNACKS: depending on the competitor, usually there will be various options of snacks available during the day that provide a specific combination of protein, fats and carbohydrates for optimum performance purposes, and often include a serving of green vegetables
CHEATS: again, depending on the preparation plan, yes there might me some junk food included in a controlled meal, typically once a week, and then again there may not be any.
AVERAGE WATER INTAKE: 4 liters + a day

*please note that this is just for example purposes and if you are planning on sticking to this example for your weight loss goals, you are making a misinformed choice, please consult with a weight-loss or nutrition professional*

So I always wonder why people ask such a question. How can the average craft dinner compare to a lean meat and green veggies serving, how can pop drinking and 2 liters of water a day be compared to 4 liters of clear liquid running through your system.

Other typical scenario. I have lately been approached by people that have noticed a consistent weight loss in me with a genuine concern for my health and they are kind enough to ask if everything is OK with my health.

In reply and just for my personal amusement, I lift my shirt,  flash them the six pack, or roll up my sleeve and show them my guns and I say: "I appreciate your concern for my health, but do you think I would look like this if I was getting sick or if I had an eating disorder?"

I often get a blank stare in reply.

My question to any of those wondering if a contest preparation diet is good for a competitor's health is, what is it that concerns them about what they know that incites the need to often throw this question at competing athletes?

On the other hand, let me just share with you just some of my personal concerns as a practicing personal trainer about the average knowledge of what "a healthy diet is":

1.- People who think that because they drink packaged juice they are making the healthy choice of introducing fruit into their diet.
2.- People who think that eating more protein, eliminating all sources of carbohydrates and eating a lot of fruit is going to help them succeed in weight loss.
3.- People who think that they just need to eat less will help them succeed.
4.- People who think that eating a lot of fruit is going to help them loose weight.

Yes, a competitor's diet is not an average diet and you are right, it might not be good and/or work for you. You have to remember that people who compete are "athletes". It doesn't mean you cannot become one, but being a fitness "athlete" requires several commitments that I will discuss in my upcoming article.

Out of my 3 contest preparations, out of personal experience I can tell you that I obtain a heightened level of health, energy and fitness out of my programs. I typically and consistently experience these 3 elements more so than in my average, off season, lifestyle.

So, why would I not want to keep doing it?

Doing a fitness show is most certainly not an experience meant for everyone. But if you so happen to ever  commit to one, make sure you do so with the guidance of an expert in the field.Its a powerful experience that will bring changes into your life that you could not even imagine. Plus, you will earn the right to post half naked pictures, in sparkling suits in your Facebook!

Comments

Popular Posts