An Honest Breakdown

Up until now, my journey has been a relatively smooth ride since I started my Figure Contest Preparation plan with coach Sean Tierney in October.I have been sharing with you out of a position of confidence and happiness.

This week is the first week since I started that things are not going the way I want to. I think it is fair that I also share this with you. Life is not always sunshine and rainbows, and it is part of the journey as well.

It all started when my $160 pink iPod nano, that I had just purchased in December, died on Monday at 6:40am while I was doing my morning cardio. A drop of murderous sweat happened to fall through its crack (the dock connector). Wow, bad luck to me! That single drop of unsuspected water damage that happened to fall in the perfectly wrong spot of its crack seemed to fry the whole damn thing.

Yes, I couldn't help but wonder when your iPod dies first working hour of the week if it is a sign for things to come (sorry I am being a bit too dramatic, but its just how I feel right now).

As the day moved on it became apparent that I was getting a sore throat and whatever muscle group I had worked out since Thursday last week, was taking 3 times longer to recover! So I was not only feeling weaker, but sore all over. It wasn't a cold muscle soreness, it truly was a super delayed muscle recovery.

My coach requested that I consider taking days off from training, and as stubborn as I am, I listened realizing that long term it will be beneficial to recover faster than dragging sickness into a second week. However I did not take time off work, because as stubborn as I am, I could not bring myself to cancel my clients' sessions, because I know for some of them coming here is the highlight of their day. Also, I didn't want to miss the chance on making my needed coin of course.

By the third day it was all starting to accumulate. I came to the realization that working out 7 days a week takes the edge out of me and makes me a better person. Doing this allows me to take out my frustrations and angers out while I pump some iron instead of taking it out on some unsuspecting innocent victim such as my husband or any other person at the gym. So by the third day sick, tired and having not worked out, I was an ugly angry person. So I stayed home for the afternoon to deal with it with my own self.

In my self pity I was looking from reassurance from other people. I was honestly hoping for that random BBM message of someone saying hi, or telling me how great I have been looking and that everything will be fine. I was needing verbal couching and reassurance and maybe someone to listen to all my frustrations without judgement, the same way I have done for a bunch of people in the past month. The afternoon moved lonely and quietly on. I realized I was completely on my own. Much in the same way we are always on our own when we decide to take on a journey different than what everyone else is doing.

You got to love setbacks, they keep you angry and sharp and quick on your feet. They make you stronger and centered in the realization that strength and reassurance come from within yourself. They also remind you to not take for granted whenever things are going well. I hunger for feeling well again. It might take another day or two, so I guess my lesson for today is PATIENCE.

Comments

Popular Posts