10 weeks to nationals: ADMITTING THAT I WAS WRONG...

 "Rodin Thinker"

UPDATES FIRST

If you are wondering why I've been a little quiet its because I've been feeling a little pooped, however it is not due to training and it is not unlike what the "average" person feels.

It started on Thursday as my daily routine changed when I was not able to take my usual 2pm siesta. I got home at 7pm and became a useless piece of lump in the couch. Surprisingly since I missed that nap, it is like I haven't been able to catch up on my recovery, needing to slow things down and sleep a little bit more. So instead of productively posting Facebook updates for Transformation Journeys I have been slowly making my way through house chores and the need for other mindless tasks.

But here I am, catching up.

NOW ON TO MY CONFESSION...

When I tell people I compete in natural Bodybuilding and I show them my before (a picture when I used to sit at a desk for 10 hours, eat a bunch of crap, feel sorry for myself, and be absolutely useless at lifting weights) and and after picture (now a National level competitor), they often reply:

"WOW! Good for you! You are so inspiring, but I could never do this myself" 

Me, being a trainer, coach and having a savior complex used to get utterly frustrated at that reply.  I knew in my mind that I used to be like them and that the only difference between them and me was when I decided to believe that I could do it. The most frustrating thing is that even after showing them proof that I was like them (with my before picture) they could still not bring themselves to believe they could.

As a transformation coach I know as a fact that anyone with a healthy and normally functioning body (i.e. no hormonal imbalances or abnormal thyroid function) is capable of transforming their bodies provided the following:

1.- That they believe they can, that they believe in what their coach tells them and that they believe in the plan that has been developed for them.

2.- That they are COACHABLE (interesting concept, you should click on the link and find what I mean by that) and keep a constant and honest COMMUNICATION.

3.- Commit and execute their nutrition and training plan to a 100%.

4.- There are no unexpected external factors such as accidents and/or disease that could slow or even stop the process.

At some point even I was bold enough to go about believing that anyone could do a "Fitness Show" or that should consider having that in their bucket list, as in my personal experience it had been one of the most powerful events as of yet. This journey had led me to know my demons and conquer them plus it left me with an amazing body, a network of crazy cool people and knowledge that completely turned things around in my life.

So yes, if you had met me at that period in my life, I would have tried to sell you the same ticket for your very own show!

I bite my tongue now and I want to admit how very WRONG I HAVE BEEN, because truth is some people could never do it and some others SHOULD never even attempt to do it.

SO... WHERE DID I MADE THE MISTAKE...

Competing makes me super excited about life, it makes my blood boil

At this moment in my life I am so passionate about it that it gives me a constant rush of energy that gets me up from 5am in the morning and gets me going until 10pm without stopping. It makes me want to work hard, grow and learn, become a better person both for myself and those around me, it makes me want to help people (that want to be helped of course).

Having competed during the past year has resulted in an increase of both physical and mental health for me, as well as positively impacting those around me (those who have not become envious and judgemental towards me during this process of course, cause it happens).

I thought this could be the case for everyone else if they opened themselves to the process, the change, the learning experience and the commitment to this kind of work.

WRONG! 

The experience of life and perception is absolutely individual and completely different for everyone. (ummmm yeah, you must be thinking, what is this spiritual crap.... please don't tell me Alex is going to start talking about meditation and the alignment of the universe and how human consciousness is evolving) hahaha no, I won't do that here.... mmhh maybe in another blog.

What I am trying to say is that other people derive this kind of drive, rush and passion for living from other journeys such as: climbing the corporate ladder, giving birth to a child, being a mother/father, reading a book, creating a piece of art, riding a bike, etc. I call it "the meaning of your life".

And so if you ask me if you, or him or her could compete, my answer would be "I don't know, is that what you really want?"

TRUTHS ABOUT COMPETING...

I will say it... competing has broken people in many ways, financially, physically, emotionally, mentally. If you surf the internet I am sure you will find no shortage of horror stories of people who attempted doing a fitness show.

Competing in fitness shows is no more dangerous than jogging on a busy street, per say. What is dangerous is doing so without guidance, knowledge and yes, a certain DOSE of COMMON SENSE.

If you live in a town and you go jogging outdoors, there are certain things you wouldn't do. For example try to beat a speeding car when crossing the street, or run amongst cars, or go in foresty trails alone and without protection where there are known to be wild animals. If you go jugging and your knees start swelling up, or you start experiencing sharp shooting pains in the bottom of your feet, you don't get up the next day and push through it without having looked after it (uhhhmmm well I know people that do that... no comment...)

Competing without knowledge and guidance is equivalent to doing some of the silly things as described above. Competing is dangerous if first of all you do not enter the journey with a healthy body and mind. Secondly, competing is dangerous if you do not monitor how your body responds to the stimulus its subjected to, both through diet and training programs.

And most importantly, competing is dangerous for those who are not meant to be fitness competitors PERIOD.

SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF ALL THIS?

Today, to all of you that read this post, I want you to sit down in silence for 5 minutes (don't freak out, the world is not going to explode if you stop moving or looking at your Facebook on your phone for 5 min) and I want you to think about what makes you want to get out of bed in the morning? What gets you through your days? 

If you can, dare go a step further, what makes you excited? What makes your blood boil? What makes you want to live to the fullest?

Hey and if you can't answer this question, please do not get all depressed on me, ok? On the contrary, be glad that you have no such attachment yet, cause when you find it, its kind of like being married, which has its pros and cons, right?

Hopefully, and contrary to all other days, we would have some shares as to what moves people in their lives. Hopefully with this shares, we will come to realize the beautiful variety of what makes us human, and to know for all of you that maybe you are not the only crazy person that works hard all day just so they can get home to that unfinished novel, or to cook that new cupcake recipe, or who can't wait to dog-walk that group of 7 crazy dogs that leaves you exhausted, but fulfilled.

Please share!

  

 

Comments

Popular Posts